Tag Archives: kubota

Adult Dyslexia

6 Jun

I was on my tractor a few days ago and noticed I had 412 hours on the meter. I thought I remembered there was some oil changes needed to be performed at 400 hours so I checked my owner’s manual and sure enough at 400 hours I needed to do an engine oil change as well as a hydraulic oil change.

P1020477

I went to the dealership and bought the necessary filters, $110 dollars worth for 3 oil filters and one fuel filter!

P1020476

I went to Tractor Supply and bought the oil. I learned my lesson about buying Kubota brand oil when I did the break-in oil change at 20 hours. I wasn’t about to fall for that again, but never-the-less, it was still $140 worth of oil today! I changed the engine oil and filter then started the engine to check for leaks and check the level on the stick. While I was starting the engine I looked down and noticed the hour meter read 214 hours. WTH?! I misread it as 412 instead of 214! The engine oil did need changing at 200 hours, but I have nearly another 200 hours until the other oil changes are due. It has taken 2 1/2 years to get 200 hours even with mowing the entire yard for 2 seasons. Now with the ZTR mower doing most of the mowing chores it will be several years before I hit 400 hours. I will probably encounter a time limit for service before that time. I’m glad I caught that before I changed the hydraulic oil, that saved me quite a bit of money. I must have had a flash of adult dyslexia and my brain read the numbers backward! Whew! Ain’t getting old fun? Keep prepping everyone!

Advertisements

Homestead Update

28 Mar

moto_0966

With the improved weather I did manage to work on a few projects this past week. I used my tractor and brush-grubber chain to pull up some of those sapling trees on the front area by the highway. Someday when I get that finished the driveway to the house will look much neater.

moto_0967

I noticed Lowe’s had some fruit trees priced at $12.50 each and after quickly checking around town the other stores had trees priced $20-30 each so I went back to Lowe’s and bought 10 more trees to add to the orchard. I also dug enough holes with the posthole digger to plant the vines I bought last Fall, (grapes, raspberries, blackberries) and blueberries. I picked up 6 grapes at Wal-Mart, they were sprouting so I knew they were alive so I felt safe buying them, otherwise I steer clear of buying live plants at discount stores for the most part. I spent an afternoon picking up limbs and using the loping shears to trim up some vines and brush around the fences. I spent a few hours cleaning up inside my shop so I can get better organized. I serviced up my tractor and made preparations to hook up some more of my implements the next week so I can work up the garden area. It won’t be too long and I can start putting some seeds and plants into the ground! Keep prepping everyone!

Homestead Update

31 Jan

I wanted to give you an update on the happenings at our homestead. There really has not been much going on due to the record cold weather we have been having. I know it has been much worse for those of you further North, but it has been cold enough here that I haven’t spent much time outside. Last weekend the weather finally broke and we had above average temps so we cranked up the tractor and did some brush clearing in the front area by the road.

P1020312

You might remember we have four old, nearly dead trees on either side of the driveway.

P1020313P1020314

There are quite a few limbs falling out of the trees that need to be cleaned up.

moto_0891

I turned those old snags into a couple of buckets full of firewood, and with the cold temps we have been having it really came in handy!

P1020315

Now I need to clean up these saplings by pulling them up with the tractor. I don’t want to cut them down and leave all those stubs to have to mow over later. I will have to give you an update on that later because I had some trouble with my tractor and had to call the mechanic. The starter is stuck, it won’t disengage! I tapped on it with a hammer to try to unstick it, but it just kept whirring. I finally had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Well, the weather is going to take a turn for the worse again next week so I guess it is a good time for the tractor to be out of commission and in the shop. Keep prepping everyone.