Homestead Update

8 Aug

I went to our local bee keepers meeting and asked questions about why my bees weren’t making honey. Apparently my hives are “honey bound”. My bottom deep super is full of brood, and the next super doesn’t contain any brood, it is all capped honey. The old-timer beeks said my queen doesn’t want to cross that capped honey so she is content to stay in the lower super and lay more eggs there. They suggested I place another super between the upper and lower supers. I did that as well as checker boarding the brood frames in the lower super and the new middle super which I added. Hopefully now the bees will think they have a lot of empty space to work with and they will get busy!

IMG_20150806_193247138

I seem to have a lot of adult bees.

IMG_20150806_193207447

I also have a good bit of old capped brood. I never did find the queen, and I didn’t see any small brood or eggs and that has me worried. I will check back in another week or so and see if I spot any new activity. I have a lot to learn about bee keeping. I should have done this a month ago but I depended on what I read in the books. According to the books, I am supposed to have two deep brood chambers topped by honey supers. Well, apparently my bees didn’t read the instruction manual! They stored an entire deep super of honey directly above their one brood chamber. I guess they felt like that was enough because they wouldn’t go up to the next super and store more. Some of the beeks suggested I take some of the honey out of the deep super to encourage them to replace it. I declined to do that, I want to be sure the bees have enough to survive the winter. If they do happen to make some more honey and store it in the empty medium super I placed on top, I might harvest some of that. Until then I will just let them keep what they have made so far for their own use.

IMG_20150806_082113194

Sweet Thing went flea market shopping with her sister while I worked last Saturday. She brought home this nice piece of railroad iron I will use as an anvil. There is something nice and satisfying  about the sound of a hammer ringing off of a good piece of rail! I had looked at iron like this before when we were shopping together, but the price was always too high. She paid $9 for this and I said that was a price I would have paid myself. I put the rail to good use already; I used it to nail together the new frames I put in the new supers I just added to my hives.

IMG_20150805_162333473_HDR

Last week while I was checking one of my fields, I rounded a corner on my motor cycle and flushed up 4 white rabbits. They took off in a flash before I could get a good look at them. I wondered if they were albinos or escaped tame rabbits but I couldn’t tell. This week when I approached that spot, I stopped my motor cycle and quietly walked around to where I spotted them and I managed to get up close to this one. Sure enough, it is a domesticated rabbit. It is mostly white with black ears, eyes and nose. Right after I snapped this picture, it took off into the weeds so they certainly aren’t tame anymore! Keep your eyes open everyone, you never know what you might see!

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Homestead Update”

  1. Seasonsgirl August 28, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

    I am enjoying reading about bee keeping and love learning more about it. Thanks for the info. 🙂

    • doublebhomestead August 29, 2015 at 5:22 pm #

      I hope this bee keeping experiment turns out well, I have lots to learn!

      • Seasonsgirl August 29, 2015 at 8:46 pm #

        I hope so too. I’m looking forward to more posts about it. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: